Now that the Maine summer has winded down, kids are back to school, people are back to work and we are trying to get into our normal routine of what we call “reality”, it is now the time to think about the home you own, or wish to own!
What to expect during the fall real estate market:
The fall time is where Maine will see the last influx of homes coming on the market hoping to sell prior to the holidays.
Sellers, it is important at this time to price your property right. As a Realtor, I know what that means, as a seller – do you? It’s simple, the price you put on your property will directly define your motivation to sell it. More specifically, do your homework! Interview a few agents to make sure you price your property correctly and have a good plan from the very first day. Determining the best market value price upfront will make the market time less and having an experienced Realtor who knows the market inside and out will help you achieve this goal.
Buyers, this is the time for you to make your move! I have always said during the fall, this is the time for you to work with a motivated seller who likely wants to close before the holidays or at least before the year end! This is the time to make offers and negotiate. When working with a Realtor, they will have access to all the properties that are pending and sold in the last six months to help advise you on the best offer to make. I recommend selecting one agent to work with over an extended period of time so they can get to know specifically what you are looking for and can scout out those perfect deals.
A few tips for both buyers and sellers this fall:
For sellers – First impressions from the curb are critical:
1. Make sure you have your lawn mowed prior to pictures – this is the last time to showcase how nice the yard can look before it turns brown and/or full of snow.
2. Have a thorough fall clean up, picking up all the leaves, trimming bushes back. This is important for buyers to see less work they have to perform, even before they step into the property.
3. Wash the windows inside and out.
4. Set out seasonal flowers on the porch to make the property inviting.
For buyers – Be ready, on the lookout:
1. Get pre-approved with a letter from a mortgage lender, your Realtor can assist you with referrals.
2. Look for curb appeal, and general maintenance concerns when you drive by properties. This says a lot about what the inside of the property will be like.
3. Define what your search criteria is with your Realtor to ensure you receive all the opportunities available to you. Be specific!
4. Don’t hesitate to enter into multiple offer situations! If you like it, give it your best! If you don’t get that property, then you know you are one step closer to the one that will be yours!
As I have said since the beginning, please call a local Realtor for all your real estate needs no matter how big or small. We are trained professionals here to make your life easier. It’s best to surround yourself with the right team of professionals that can continuously give you the right advice for all your circumstances.
The original article can be found here.